05 Jan Interesting Facts about UEFA Champions League
- The champion league anthem titled as “ champion league” was composed by British Composer Tony Britten in the year 1992 and it is also an adaptation of George Frideric Handel’s Zadok the Priest. The original version of the song is about 3 minutes long and has never been released commercially. The song has two short verses, and the chorus includes three official languages that are used by UEFA such as German, English, and French.
- There never any hat-tricks in the champions league finals but players like Karl-Heinz Riedle, Daniele Massaro, Hernán Crespo, Diego Milito, Filippo Inzaghi, and Cristiano Ronaldo all struck twice.
- The highest number of wins according to the countries goes to the Spanish clubs who won 18 times. Following countries are England and Italy with both securing 12 titles. England is the winning country as the number of teams who won in the champion league includes Liverpool, Aston Villa, Chelsea, Nottingham Forest, and Manchester United.
- The champions league is the most viewed sporting event in the world. In the finals of the 2012-13 champions league between Borussia Dortmund vs. Bayern Munich aired more than 200 countries and even had the highest TV rating with about 360 million TV viewers.
- English club was banned from the champions league between the years 1986 and 1991 because of various hooliganism problems and stadium disasters. Due to the absence of the English clubs, teams like Red Star Belgrade. PSV Eindhoven and Steaua Bucarest got the opportunity to win a title for the time after a decade of English dominance.
- Cristiano Ronaldo became the first player to ever score a goal in three champion league finals, one in the year 2008 for Manchester United, and in the years 2014 and 2017 for Real Madrid. He is the only player that has scored in two different champions league finals with two different clubs.
- Clarence Seedorf is the only player in the tournament to win the trophy with three different clubs that is Real Madrid (1998), Ajax (1995) and Milan (2003 and 2007).
- The most successful team in the champions league is Real Madrid who has secured their 13th win by defeating Liverpool 3-1 in the 2018 finals. Real Madrid became the first team in the champion league to win the title in three consecutive years. Under Real Madrid, there is Milan with seven titles, Barcelona, Liverpool and Bayern München with five titles.
- The fastest goal in the champion league final was by Paolo Maldini who scored a goal under 51 seconds. Roy Makaay holds the record in the champions league for the fastest goals in a match after he scored in 10 seconds for Bayer Munich against Real Madrid in the year 2007.